Saturday, October 4, 2008

Alan Moore: Watchmen

Alan Moore's Watchmen is legitimately referred to as 'the most celebrated' graphic novel. I myself respect & admire the novel, but I do have more favoured graphic novels (specifically, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series) --even more favoured works by Moore-- and was unsure for a time why this graphic novel was more widely considered the best of the genre over the alternatives.

I have since come to the conclusion--very pertinent for our course approach--that form in literature attracts readers more so than other elements. Watchmen is comprehensively formal (too overtly so for my own tastes), and our study of it will focus on how Moore uses this opportunity to give a tour de force of formal elements: visual as was a structural.

The trailer for the upcoming film version is online here.

No comments: